Acrylic and Mixed Media
May 25-27 2018
Come for the excitement of expanding the language of your acrylics to include materials you have wanted to try or to know more about. Working to meet each individual exactly where they are, to help them expand their practice in a personal way is Suzanne’s gift. Building beautiful surfaces, brushwork, drawing media and image transfer as well as creative process will be covered. Students will provide their own subject material (sketches, photos, physical items or ideas) or choose to work on location.
Come be yourself, be brave, and have fun.
Suzanne is an interdisciplinary artist whose explorations have crossed into the worlds of poetry, video, photography and natural history. Her subject matter over thirty years of work has included the human body, crow migration, butterfly cycles and bog wetlands. She values the freedom to study in an organic way, allowing the subject to suggest the methodology, watching to see how what is learned in one domain informs another. As an art instructor, Northcott works to illuminate mysteries of the creative process with humour and insight and is known for her ability to help students break through to new personal ground in their work.
Northcott’s work is held in numerous collections including the Surrey Art Gallery’s public collection and the Langley Centennial Museum Collection. She is currently working on a major public art project for the City of Surrey’s New City Hall.
SUPPLY LIST, Acrylic and Mixed media
Note: It is understood that each student will be working in the materials of their choice. The following is a guideline and you don’t need everything!
- Acrylic paints
- Small containers for mixing paint
- Selection of brushes
- Acrylic Medium – gel or liquid, gloss or matte
- Stretched canvas, cradled wood panels or masonite boards (several)
- Source material to jump off from (drawings, photos, ideas, objects)
- Sketchbook or notebook
- Drawing materials (graphite, charcoal, pastel, etc.)
- Graphite powder
- Photocopies for image transfer (TONER based, not ink)
- Metal leaf
- Acrylic Glazing Liquid
- Specialized acrylic mediums such as self leveling gel, tar gel, texture medium
- Applicator for texture medium (wide scraper or trowel)
- Other materials for mixed media that you would like to explore
Note: Students are invited to bring photos of their work and/or work that they love to help Suzanne understand where they want to go.
- Workshop fee $400.00
- Accommodation and all meals per person (based on double occupancy) $270.00
- Register Here!